If you’ve got questions, feedback, speaking invitations, or ideas you would like to share, send a message to Shaddai@CriticalEarlyYears.org or use the form below.
I am available to speak about my experiences as a practitioner working in the early years. I am happy to speak in more detail in relation to both gender and racism in the profession. I can also deliver workshops on these issues.
- November 2019 – Presentation on ‘Reflections on Gender and LGBT+ Inclusive Education in Early Learning and Childcare’. Presented to Gender Commission (Scottish Apprenticeship Advisory Board) at Early Years Scotland, Professional Learning Academy in Glasgow, Scotland.
- November 2019 – Research Presentation on ‘Heteronormativity in Early Childhood: Identifying how heteronormative practices are maintained, constrained, and can be disrupted in early childhood in Scotland, UK’ – at the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) Research Colloquium, Division of Education. Paisley, Scotland.
- September 2019 – Speaker, Panelist and Workshop Co-Lead at ‘Men in Early Years Seminar‘, a joint Scottish Funding Council, Scottish Government and Skills Development Scotland event in Stirling, Scotland.
- September 2019 – Panelist at the Fourth National Men in The Early Years (MITEY) Conference: Bringing Men into the Early Years – The Why and The How 2019, Westminster, London.
- June 2019 – Research Presentation on ‘Heteronormativity in Early Childhood Practice’ as part of ‘Feminist New Materialist Encounters with Gender in Early Childhood Contexts’ symposium at Gender and Education Conference 2019, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK.
- June 2019 – Speaker on ‘Heteronormativity in Early Childhood Practice’ at Childhood Practice Conference, University of Glasgow.
- March 2019 – Workshop Lead on ‘Race and Racism in the Early Years’ at Firm Foundations Conference 2, Bath Spa University.
- January 2019 – Panelist at ‘A Career in Early Years is waiting for You!’ event, Glasgow.
- December 2018 – Published article in Early Years Educator titled ‘We need to talk about racism’
- October 2018 – Keynote PM on ‘Boys, Men and Gender in the Early Years’ at Equal Play conference, City Hall, London.
- July 2018 – Oversaw 3rd National Gender in the Early Years Conference with Bristol Men in Early Years Network, Bristol.
- May 2018 – Speaker at Tiger Gender Equality Community Exhibition. Bristol.
- March 2018 – Guest on the The Victoria Derbyshire show, BBC2, to discuss how diversity in the Early Years profession can be improved.
- February 2018 – Workshop Lead on “More men in the early years?” For Best Practice Network, Bristol.
- February 2018 – Guest on the Gender Knot podcast to discuss the difference between sex and gender, why we should be challenging the imbalance in the Early Years and the issue of status and professionalism in the workforce.
- October 2017 – Workshop Lead on ‘How to Build your own local network’ at the national Men in The Early Years (MITEY) conference, Bradford.
- March 2017 – Speaker on “The implications of Gender Stereotyping” at Zero Tolerance: Making Respectful Men conference, Bristol.